Sunday, September 27, 2009

Kapparot, Slichot

בס"ד

If someone handed you a live chicken and told you to swing it around your head a few times, you would do it, right?  I didn't.  Kapparot's a silly custom in my opinion (and in the opinion of many) but many of us Nativers went near the Shuk to see the experience.  Some people actually swung the chickens, others barely walked in when they were grossed out and fled.  Especially seeing the shochet slaughter the animals right on the spot, one after another probably wasn't so appealing to everyone.

I had another great walk around Jerusalem night Thursday night - my friend Shira and I (and eventually Seffi) walked to Ben Yehuda, back, and down to Emek Re'faim where we had some amazing gelato. Mmmm mmmm!

Friday I got up at 4 a.m. for a s'lichot tour in Nachla'ot.  Most of the schuls we visited were Sefardic.  One of the schuls we visited had tea outside!  They were all welcoming though.  It was the last morning of long s'lichot, hence it was more significant.  The neighborhood was very much alive, and one women was washing the street outside her house at that hour. We found that odd.  One of the best treats of this early morning escapade was a visit to Marzipan, where we got world-class rugelach and my friend Marc and I bought a challah that we ate on the spot.  Both were a taste of Olam Ha-Ba, for sure!

Most people went asleep right when we got back to Beit Nativ, but I did s'lichot and then davened at Moreshet Yisrael.  I had a hard time staying awake during a woman's d'var torah midway through Shacharit.  Then I had a productive morning and got some work done before lunch.  It was a very nice day in the afternoon so Shira and I decided to go on a walk through Ben Yehuda, and I saw a guy Ilan I know from Atlanta who studies at a yeshiva in Jerusalem.  You never know who you bump into!

It's just about Yom Kippur time, so the rest of Shabbat will come soon!

צום קל וגמר חתימה לכולם

No comments:

Post a Comment