Thursday, March 18, 2010

Committing to a Daily Minyan

בס"ד

Before I got a car, I thought that once I start driving and have full access to a car, I'd daven at schul and make minyan there on a regular basis.  Needless to say, I didn't end up doing that, with the exception of Wacky Wednesday.  Of course, I couldn't make mornings because of school but I thought evening's I'd do that.

 

Here in Yeruham, I daven as an individual five days a week, since minyanim here take place at around 6 in the morning, and considering how late I go to bed and how late I can wake up, I'm not too down for that.  But Yoram did put the challenge before us to start a nightly minyan at the Afikim schul, with hopes that it's something that would stick even after we leave.  We convene at nine o'clock every night (minus Shabbat).  It is just now that I believe I have learned what it means to commit to a minyan; I literally drop what I'm doing and work my schedule around ma'ariv.  We have a core group of Nativers who also do the same, and except when a couple of people have conflicts at the same time, we usually have little problems making a minyan.  Because the schul is Orthodox (there are no Conservative in Yeruham), we do not count women, but two-three girls make a regular appearance.  I hope more locals will end up joining us, but it's great that every night I fulfill the obligation to daven with a minyan.  The Talmud says that one who chooses not to daven with a minyan when one is available is a "bad neighbor."  We all have our different reasons for choosing to daven individually, but it's great to fulfill this mitzvah every night.


No comments:

Post a Comment